- To keep your patients' eye, vision and general health your first priority.
- To respect the rights and dignity of patients regarding their health care decisions.
- To advise your patients whenever consultation with, or referral to, another optometrists or other health professional is appropriate.
- To ensure confidentiality and privacy of patients' health and other personal information.
- To strive to ensure that all people have access to eye and vision care.
- To maintain and advance your professional knowledge and skills.
- To maintain your practice in accordance with professional health care standards.
- To promote ethical and cordial relationships with all members of the health care community.
- To maintain the dignity, honour and integrity of the optometric profession.
Duty as an optometrist:
* According to the Legislation, Registration and Standards Committee code of conduct for WCO (World Council of Optometry) members.